Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A lot can indeed happen over coffee




It hit early this time. I was feeling ditzy, restless and my mind was wandering constantly, particularly when i was supposed to be drawing up reports. Not a good sign. Mid week crisis had set in early this week. It was just Tuesday and I had to bake.

and so i decided to dare a bit. I have never been a coffee/tea person. I like my milk as milk, thank you. I always have. and i have seen souls hooked to their cuppa. I know plenty of them. enough to make me wonder. Mind you, the surplus of Baristas, Coffee Days, Cafe Pascuccis, Gloria Jeans and Brios have ensured that i have nothing against the cappuccino and the mocha in its many forms. Its just that I have never been hooked per se.



So i decided to tread on previously untrodden waters and test the mojo of coffee by trying this espresso-chocolate chip cookie recipe. I was pleasantly surprised. I quite like it. :)

With many adaptations, this is the recipe i followed:

Espresso Chocolate Chip Cookie
2 cups flour
155 grams unsalted butter
1whole egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee powder (i used nescafe)
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Makes 24 cookies


How you go about it:

- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a dry bowl, whsk together the flour, baking powder, salt and espresso powder and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugars till light and fluffy
- Gradually add the egg and yolk, one at a time and blend well. Follow that up with the vanilla extract
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mix and blend just so it is all mixed well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Refrigerate the cookie mix for half an half an hour so that it firms up a bit, enough to aid you when scooping it up.


-Take the mix out of the refrigerator after half an hour, scoop up using an ice cream scoop, drop onto the baking try and flatten out. Drop the scoops with space of half an inch to spare.

-Bake for seventeen to twenty minutes or till dark golden brown and the sides begin to darken or tad longer if u like it a little crisp.
-Take out of the oven and let cool on a rack before wolfing it down with or without a glass of milk (hot or cold!)

Am a fan now! :)

P.S: A lot can indeed happen over coffee!

1 comment:

What you think: